A 3 days intensive, ‘Value Clarification and Knowledge Building Workshop on Meaningful and Inclusive Youth Participation’ was organized by SERAC-Bangladesh, supported by Right here Right Now platform in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh on 13th-15th March, 2019 with a specific goal to revitalize the meaningful and inclusive youth participation across the platform members, by introducing hands on techniques and tools to ensure Meaningful Inclusive Youth participation (MIYP).
The members of RHRN-BD platform- Bandhu Social Welfare Society (BANDHU), Bangladesh Legal Aid and Services Trust (BLAST), BRAC (Education Program), Family Planning Association of Bangladesh (FPAB), James P Grant School of Public Health (JPGSPH) -BRAC University, Naripokkho, Reproductive Health Services Training and Education Programme (RH-Step), Unite for Body Rights (UBR) Alliance, SERAC-Bangladesh and Oboyob attended the workshop.
The key persons of respected organization- S M Shaikat, Executive director of SERAC-Bangladesh, Dr. AFM Matiur Rahman, Executive Director of FPAB, Md. Fosiul Ahsan, Program Director of Bandhu and Abdul Wadud, Assistant Program Director of SERAC-Bangladesh were also presented there.
Robin Smeets, Youth Rights and Engagement Coordinator of Dance4Life, Tasnia Ahmed, Program Officer of SERAC-Bangladesh, Saraban Tahura Zaman, National Coordinator of RHRN platform and Nazia Zaman, Oboyob acted as resource group for the concerned issues and/or sessions.
The clear and common understanding among the platform members and regional partners are imperative especially on the following ‘Values’ through an intensive workshop to effectively advance towards goal. The agenda of the workshop covered:
- MIYP concept clarification flower of participation, life-line exercises, Handprint exercise, Empowerment visualization, footprint exercise.
- Group work on MIYP status/how to ensure MIYP
- Arguments to promote MIYP (Hesitation, experience with youth)
- Introducing Youth – Adult Partnerships through empathy Map and action plan
- Meaningful Youth Engagement in Regional and International advocacy
- Youth-adult partnership monitoring mechanism development/introduction
The determinations of the event were:
- To grow the positive attitude on meaningful inclusive youth participation by overcoming all the challenges towards the issues;
- Participants will have the knowledge and skill to link the RHRN values in practical arena of work;
- Conceptual clarity on MIYP values: symmetrical understanding among the RHRN Bangladesh platform.